Sustainability Fawkner have our regular Food swap on the Saturday 9 November from 10.30am to 12.30pm in CB Smith Reserve. Come along early with your garden produce to swap and stay and join the rest of the festivities for the afternoon.
Moreland council have a full list of activities on this week which includes:
- Fawkner Postcards exhibition and other events at Fawkner Library – Wednesday to Saturday
- Social Bowls and competition at Fawkner Bowling Club
- Fawkner interfaith celebration
- Live music and entertainment at Major Rd and Bonwick St shops from Wednesday to Friday 11.30am to 1.30pm
Fawkner Festa at CB Smith Reserve – 9 November
Our activities include:
- 12 pm – 3.30 pm: A Sustainability Showcase presented by Sustainable Fawkner
- An extended ‘Sustainable Fawkner Foodswap’ where gardeners can exchange excess produce
- Display of ‘Rubbish to Riches’ photo competition entries – documenting resident’s own outstanding, inspiring and fun examples of reuse and recycling
- Plant sale to fundraise for local community gardening projects
- Introduction to back yard chook keeping by Fleur from Bookachook (12 pm – 3 pm)
- Play-dough and Butterfly origami activities for kids
Come along and say hello to us.
Other activities and groups include:
12 pm: DRUM OUT! Parade
A community percussion project run in the lead up to this year’s Festa saw students from St Marks, Fawkner, St Matthews and Moomba Park Primary Schools work with artist Collin Bogaars to make and decorate instruments from a collection of recycled materials. Make sure you don’t miss them come together to play their instruments as part of an exciting DRUM OUT! Parade to open the day’s festivities.
- North West Area Mental Health Service
- Merri Creek Management Committee
- Moreland Energy Foundation
- Fawkner Bowling Club
- Fawkner Leisure Centre
- Faith Baptist Church Independent
- Brunswick Hockey Club
- Fawkner Leisure Centre will showcase the Viper and Body Step / Pump classes from the Centre’s group fitness programs. Join in the 2 x 20 minute demonstration classes.
- Face painting – For a gold coin donation children can get into the Festa spirit with face painting by students at John Fawkner College.
- FREE Kid’s Cooking Classes presented by Making Food Fun
Join the Colourful Chef on a cooking adventure in this fully interactive class. Come along and smell, touch, see, cook and taste a range of fresh, colourful ingredients. Take home recipe provided. Suitable for kids aged 4-12. Plus win prizes in the vegetable creation competition! Session times: 12 pm / 12:45 pm / 1:30 pm / 2:15 pm / 3:00 pm
- The Nylon Zoo – An interactive, celebratory event held in and around a fantastical (and very friendly) GIANT INFLATABLE SALMON. With wild and whimsical costumes, dance, music-making, theatre and story time, the Nylon Zoo-keepers take participants on an adventure into their stories and their imaginations. Join in the fun for what promises to be an unforgettable celebration of colour, movement and play. Session times: 12.30 pm / 1.30 pm / 2.30 pm
- Fawkner Interfaith Celebration – Sharing our stories 1.30 pm – 3.30 pm:
- Energy Efficiency in Action: A Guided Tour 2.30pm – Do you want to know how energy efficiency upgrades to Fawkner Leisure Centre have improved comfort levels and reduced running costs? Come on a brief guided tour with Council’s Environmentally Sustainable Development team to find out more.
Plus music and dance, circus and trapeze entertainment!
Relive some of the highlights of the Fawkner Festa in 2012: