Come along to the Friends of Merri Creek first bird survey for 2015 on Sunday 15 February, from 8:45 to 10:30am. The quarterly bird survey runs at different locations up and down Merri Creek, as well as at Bababi Djinanang (Jukes Road grasslands), in Fawkner.
How about visiting a part of the Merri that you haven’t seen? – choose a site from the list below. If this date doesn’t suit, then come along to Bababi Marning (Cooper Street Grasslands Reserve) a week later, on 22 February.
What to Bring
Bring binoculars if you have them, and drinking water, closed-in footwear and a sunhat. Preferably wear sombre colours.
Beginner-birders are welcome to our surveys, as well as experienced birders.
No dogs, please.
If you would enjoy a stroll through native grasslands by Merri Creek, spotting the birds as you go, then come along to Bababi Marning (Cooper Street Grasslands Reserve) next Sunday, 22 February. You can even have a bit of a sleep-in, as the starting time will be 10:30am next Sunday. The survey will finish around 12 noon.
Please call or text the survey leader, Stuart Dashper on 0404 012 385, to let him know that you will be coming.
Other dates for surveys in 2015:
- 17 May
- 6 September
- 8 November
Surveys at Bababi Marning (Cooper Street Grasslands Reserve) will be held 24 May, 13 September and 15 November.
Survey meeting points:
- Bababi Djinanang (Jukes Road grasslands), Fawkner: Meet on Merri Path at end of Jukes Road, Fawkner (Melway 18 A2).
- Egan Reserve-Harding St-Strettle Reserve: Meet at the steps at end of The Grove, East Coburg (Melway 30 A3).
- Coburg Lake Reserve: Meet near the car park, Lake Grove Coburg (Melway 17 H10).
- Edwardes Lake: Meet at the playground adjacent to Griffiths St, Reservoir (Melway 18 E5).
- CERES to Moreland Road: Meet at the seats on the Merri Path at rear of CERES near Blyth Street, East Brunswick (Melway 30 B7).
- Phillips Reserve, Merri Park: Meet at the end of Victoria St, East Brunswick, at barbecue shelter (Melway 30 B8).
- Hall Reserve- Yarra Bend Park: Meet at the Rotunda, Hall Reserve, Clifton Hill (Melway 2D D1).
- Galada Tamboore: Meet at the end of Hatty Court, Campbellfield (Melway 7 K6).
- Galgi Ngaark (Craigieburn Grasslands): Meet at the O’Herns Road gate off Hume Highway (Melway 180 E6).
- Bababi Marning (Cooper St Grasslands): Meet outside the Istrian Social Club, Cooper St Epping (Melway 387K10).
Come along and learn to identify the birds that frequent the Merri Creek ecosystems and contribute to data collection on changes in numbers and species of birds over time. This data is important to collate to understand bird numbers and movements due to changes in the environment and climate.